The past few weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind on my side, and I just wanted to take some time to discuss some of the changes that I teased on Facebook in more detail.
As you might know, my goal with Kanka is to build a truely amazing tool for worldbuilders, story tellers, rpg campaign managers and players. Kanka’s community has grown steadily over the past two years, and Patreon has allowed to help me dedicate more time and energy to the app. However, I feel that it’s time to enact a few changes over the next few months that will help me take it to the next level.
First and foremost, I want people’s first interaction with Kanka to be a lot better than it currently is. Coming to the website doesn’t convey what the app can do, nor does it help people understand features or find information. To tackle these challenges, I am relaunching the front-facing website today. This is in sync with showcasing new tutorial videos explaining the product, getting started, and will include more feature overview videos in the upcoming weeks.
You may also have noticed the increased presence on social media, which will help more people discover Kanka and open up more ways to help news users interact with the product.
Perhaps the biggest change will is the new pricing structure. Before I go into this, I just want to be extra clear that no current patron will see any changes to their Patronage. Patrons will all be able to keep their current tier and pricing, and all the bonuses that come with it, forever. I have decided to simplify the pricing structure into 3 tiers: Free, Owlbear and Elemental. I believe that there weren’t enough differentiating factors to justify 5 tiers, and that working on too many distinctive packages was detrimental to the overall development of Kanka.
In practical terms, that means that for new patrons, the Kobold and Goblin tiers have been merged into the Owlbear tier with its current bonuses, with more planned features for Owlbears in the works. Elementals have however been increased to 10 campaign boosters and 25 MB max file uploads.
Some other changes concern the Kanka Team. My best friend Jon will be helping me with the business side well as handling social media. ChaosOS is also now in charge of an Onbarding team on the Discord to help new users as they discover and learn about Kanka.
These changes should further help me with my objective to spend more time working on the app to give all users a coherent, well built, amazing and fun product for as long as possible.
I want to thank each and every one of you for your appreciation of my work as well as your support, and I look forward to a very productive future working on our favourite RPG campaign manager!
Now, on to what changes with 0.32!
- Front: reworked the front pages, added tutorial videos, improved the FAQ, reworked a lot of texts for better clarity.
- Patreon: every tier now has an amazing custom artwork done by the incredibly talented Jeff Ross! Tiers have been reworked to better reflect the evolution of Kanka.
- Filters V3: datagrid filters are now shown above the main entity lists, and allow multiple tags to be searched. These new filters also work properly on mobile. More control on tag filtering will be added in the coming weeks.
- Profile Settings: the Patreon subpage will now show your bonuses.
- Attributes: using the advanced mention syntax ([entity:123]), you can now link to entities in the value and text attributes. These are also displayed when pinned.
- Campaign Invites: default validity for links is now infinite, and it is no longer possible to directly invite someone to the Admin role of the campaign. To do so, promote a member once they have joined. Also added a button to directly copy the invite link to the clipboard.
- Campaign Members: in the campaign members list as well as on the entities permission tab, members profile pictures are now displayed.
- Entity Entry: the rich text field now allows saving div.class, p.class and table.border-color CSS properties. This will allow boosted campaigns to go crazy with creativity. The default padding for tables has also been set to 2px to make them a bit more pleasing.
- Items: bulk edit of the size property has been added.
- Location view: removed an extra space between a locations parent locations list (under the image and name).
As always, come say hi on the Discord, and thank you for supporting Kanka!